Nov 19, 2013
WASHINGTON, Nov. 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As temperatures drop, more people will turn on heaters to stay warm. The nation's emergency physicians warn about the potential risks involved with heating your homes and bodies.
"Every year, tragically, people are burned, start fires, get an electric shock and even die from carbon monoxide poisoning, because they weren't taking proper precautions," said Dr. Alex Rosenau, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP). "I don't want anyone in my emergency department suffering from an injury that could have been easily prevented."
Each year more than 2,500 people died in house fires in the United States, according to FEMA and another 12,600 are injured.
Another big concern each fall and winter is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that can cause sudden illness and even death. People can be poisoned by breathing it.
The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. High levels can cause loss of consciousness. Every home should have a carbon monoxide detector, and if you have any of these symptoms, you should seek emergency care.
ACEP recommends the following:
For more on this and other health related topics, go to www.emergencycareforyou.org.
ACEP is the national medical specialty society representing emergency medicine. ACEP is committed to advancing emergency care through continuing education, research and public education. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, ACEP has 53 chapters representing each state, as well as Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. A Government Services Chapter represents emergency physicians employed by military branches and other government agencies.
SOURCE American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)